Thursday, November 7, 2013

Faithfulness like Moses

I’ve been praying for direction and answers. I’ve been praying for a clear path to take. 

The only word I get in return is faith. 


Today in my studies I jumped around in the Old Testament reading about Moses and his encounter with the burning bush. Many of you have heard this story 1,000 times, but to recap briefly… 
Moses encountered a burning bush in the desert. As he approached it, the audible voice of God told him to be still & remove his sandals because he was standing on holy ground. God tells Moses He has heard the cries of His people and He proceeds to reveal His plan to Moses. He instructs Moses to go to Pharaoh and tell him to let the Israelites go free, and to lead the Israelites out of Egypt. Moses is skeptical, but God reassures him, so Moses does as he is instructed. 

There is a lot about this story that I want to discuss. The first part is the audible voice of God at the burning bush. Numbers 12: 6-8 says “When a prophet of the Lord is among you, I reveal myself to him in visions, I speak to him in dreams. But this is not true of my servant Moses; he is faithful in all my house. With him I speak face to face.” 
That is so incredible to me. “he is faithful,” “with him I speak face to face.” I want the faithfulness of Moses. 

The next thing I want to focus on is the fact that God revealed his plan to Moses with the expectation of Moses to join in. He said to Moses “I have indeed seen the misery of my people. I have heard them crying out… So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land.” (Exodus 3:2-8) 

God heard the cries of His people and He revealed His plan to Moses to deliver them. When God reveals what He is about to do, that revelation becomes an invitation to join Him. This was His way of inviting Moses to be a part of His work. He wanted Moses to go speak to Pharaoh. 

The next part of this amazing story is the part where Moses asks “Who am I?” He does not believe he is worthy of such a task. He also says “I have never been eloquent. I am slow of speech and tongue.” I relate so well to this. I have NEVER been a good speaker. I can sit here and write all day, but if you put me on the spot to speak, I can’t make sense of my own name. I’m just not eloquent in speech. 

But God purposefully uses the unlikely just to show that it is Him working through us and not our own abilities. God doesn’t look for those with the talents or abilities to achieve His purpose and plan. He looks for the faithful and the willing. He seeks out those who want to be involved in His work, no questions asked. 

As Moses obeyed God through faith, God accomplished through Moses what Moses could not do by himself. I pray everyday to have the faithfulness of Moses. As I search for answers and direction on my future and the steps to take next, I want to remember to have faith. After all, that is the only word from God I am offered. Have faith. 

So I’ll step out on faith and attempt what I know can only be done by Jesus. And I'll consciously decide not to doubt, or fear, or look backward but to keep my eyes on Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment