Thursday, November 7, 2013

Blind Faith

I can't sleep tonight without getting this off my chest...

Do you ever get that feeling? It's not incredibly deep but I feel as if someone needs to hear it because it continues to nag me to the point of insomnia, literally playing over and over in my head.

What is faith? Believing in something or someone you cannot see.

What does it mean to walk by faith? To trust God to provide for you on your journey through His purpose, whether all the answers are clear or not.

So what is blind faith?


I would venture to say that a person walking a tight rope has faith. They keep their eyes glued to their every step, but they trust that they will not fall. This could be offered as a hypothetical picture of faith.
When I picture blind faith, I see the exact same scenario of the tight rope walker, except that this time, their eyes are fixed on someone across the room. The performer takes one step after another, never looking down to see where he/she maybe be stepping; eyes glued on the figure at the end of the rope.

This visual hit me when I was listening to the lyrics of Oceans by Hillsong United. Just process the meaning behind these words:

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders,
Let me walk upon the water wherever you may call me.
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger by the presence of my Savior.

I will call upon your name.
Keep my eyes above the waves.
My soul will rest in your embrace. 
I am Yours and You are mine.


Now go back and read only what I underlined. Walking on water takes faith, just as walking on a tight rope would. But to keep your eyes above the waves, fixed on Jesus and not on circumstances as you do miraculous things in His name... Now that is blind faith.

Matthew 14:29-33
He (Jesus) said "Come." So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, "Lord save me." Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?" And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."


Incredibly powerful. Peter had the faith to walk on water. Jesus acknowledged that when He said "you of little faith." He indeed had some amount of faith. But he lacked the radical abandonment to practice blind faith by keeping his eyes on Jesus rather than the wind and waves (circumstances) around him. That is what ultimately caused his failure. His doubt. His lack of blind faith.

The lyrics above are my heart's cry. I want that radical abandonment. I want to walk in blind faith in Jesus Christ. I realize that it is the most satisfying place to be. Pouring out my praise, worshiping with my life, walking by blind faith in His holy name. I want nothing more for my life than this.


Someone somewhere needed to read this. Even if it were only for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment